BYU Wins Holy War

BYU Wins Holy War
George, like Collie and Harline before him, is now still open!

Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Wife's Outburst: Christmas Commercialization

In 12 days the Christmas season will be upon us. I am so excited. It is one of my favorite seasons of the year. Christmas lights brighten the night sky, the smell of cookies and goodies fill the air, and Christmas trees decorate homes. There is the hustle and bustle of shopping. It is so exciting. Now I am not that anxious for it to come that I will put my Christmas stuff up 12 days early. I think I can wait 12 days. Apparently some people can't wait that long.

As I was driving home this evening I saw two houses (I am sure there are more) with their Christmas lights up and TURNED ON! What is wrong with these people? I know it is an exciting time of the year, but come on!!! As a society we are starting to skip Halloween and Thanksgiving. The Christmas season is stretching from 32 days to 115 days (3 1/2 months). I like Christmas, but not that much. The playing of Christmas music before the day after Thanksgiving is another thing that contributes to this "skipping" of holidays. There is a local radio station that has already started to play Christmas music.

All of this goes to show how much we have commercialized Christmas. Why can't we go back to a simpler time when there was a distinct Christmas season: the 32 days after Thanksgiving. We have become a greedy people we are thankful for what we have. I wish for just one moment we could focus on Christmas only during Christmas time.

No comments: