BYU Wins Holy War

BYU Wins Holy War
George, like Collie and Harline before him, is now still open!

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Utah St Need New Direction

Posted by: Mark Welling
Yes, I did it! I watched the entire debacle that was the Utah St. loss to Hawaii last night. I put up with the Hawaii broadcast booth, never did I think I would run into a commentating team that are more homers than Paul James. (The highlight of the broadcast was going into halftime with the broadcast team telling me what an emotional roller coaster "WE" were on looking at Brennan and his injured body. I was waiting for them to ask for prayers so that Brennan could continue in the game.)

Yet, dealing with the Hawaii fans, the dirty play of their players, and the awful WAC officiating crew doing the game(they were still better than any Mountain West crew) was the horrific play calling and execution of the Aggie offense. Leon Jackson III has got to go. He is a great punter, and having him back there to punt I think is a great move, but I don't think it is a good idea to design an offense around a punter.

If Couch Guy had no alternative I would understand; however, McCormick has come into two games against high ranked opponents, and in both games he has been able to move the stagnate Utah State offense. He has been able to put points on the board. The game looks different when McCormick is at the helm. Maybe there is a reason that Coach Guy isn't going with what looks like a clear decision. Maybe McCormick slacks during practice, or doesn't have the respect of the team? Perhaps McCormick is just a jerk? Yet, the results have been clear. One Quarterback makes good decisions one does not. One seems to have a driving personality and competitive fire, and one looks like he wants to pad his punting stats.

I am sick of watching the Aggies and seeing them have first and goal inside the five and lose yardage, because Leon will not pitch the ball on the option. (Note: I believe anyone watching film on USU has figured that out by now that if they are running an option, Jackson will pitch it about the same time Kobe Bryant leads the league in assists.)

If we were looking at this with an action movie perspective, and it is first and goal at the five and USU needs a touchdown or the world ends. I know who I would put my faith in, McCormick!

No comments: